In Clayton C. Simmons’ 1943 articles “Historical Trip Through East Barren,” is an excerpt which follows on Solomon Quessenberry:
“Zacheus and Page Quessenberry were the first Quessenberrys to locate in Barren county, and it is assumed they were brothers as they were jointly interested in documents recorded in the Barren County Clerk’s office as early as 5 April 1817. Zacheus was a Baptist minister and is believed to have been the father of Solomon Quessenberry. The documents referred to reveal that they were from Fauquier county, Virginia.
“Solomon Quessenberry was born 7 June 1807 and died 3 October 1894. He lived north of the Edmonton highway near the top of Beaver Creek hill. One room is still standing (note: this is in 1943) on the farm of Mr. John Bunch and can be seen from the highway near the crest of the hill. The old family graveyard, in which many of the Quessenberry family are buried, is located nearby.
“Solomon married Martha Bryan, a daughter of James Bryan; after her death in the year 1854, he married Sallie Clack. Mrs. Marian (Bryan) Quessenberry is buried in the old Bryan burial ground near Mount Pisgah church on the old Bryan homestead.
“The following children were born to Solomon by the first union: Elizabeth, who married John Breeding (they lived in Tennessee and then went to Birmingham, AL, where they died. They are buried in Chattanooga, TN); Marian married a Kinnaird first, then a Sexton – they lived in Metcalfe county; Mary married JH Bird; Loucinda married Ralph Wood; Louisa and James never married.”
Back in the early 1990s, when the Leech and Beard Cemetery Book was being proofed and completed, I was handed a list of cemeteries that were never located. The list had a cemetery off of Mt. Pisgah Road, between the Munday estate and the Cumberlad Parkway, that several had been on the hunt for and never located. We narrowed down two cemeteries that were named in early personal records, as being this as yet unlocated cemetery. The Bryan cemetery, and the Carpenter cemetery. Neither have ever been found, and their families lived in this mentioned area. Both would be of an age that the stones are probably lost to the weathering of time.
On the 1879 Beers and Lanagan map of Barren County, KY, the Bryan estate is located across from the Munday estate, and stretches south, to the area in question. The Munday house in recent times was owned by Leroy Williams. The remains of the Munday cemetery are close by the residence. All of the later Bryan family members came to Glasgow and are buried in the Municipal Cemetery, but the discovery of the graveyard of their ancestors, lost all these years, would be a satisfying occurrence.
If anyone knows of any unlisted cemeteries in this area, it would be nice if they could take the time to document it for posterity.