Haiden Curd Trigg, known to many as Col. Trigg, was born on 27 May 1834 on his family farm about 4 miles from Glasgow, near present-day Pritchardsville. He was the son of Alanson Trigg and Mary Frances Martin Trigg. His grandfather, Haiden Trigg, was one of the earliest settlers of Glasgow and Barren County.
Col. Trigg took an early interest in a number of financial endeavors, mercantile affairs, and the railroad industry during his renowned career. With Thomas Jefferson Gorin – son of another Glasgow founder, John Gorin – he established Gorin, Trigg, and Co. bank in 1866, after the passage of the National Bank Acts. This bank was succeeded in 1874 by the Trigg and Hawkins Bank, which proved to be the first bank in Barren County that enjoyed any longevity. It was not until the Depression that the Trigg Bank failed and ceased to exist.
In 1900, Col. Trigg retired from banking and he and other businessmen purchased the Glasgow Branch Railroad Co., and Trigg became the president.In a biography of Trigg in E. Polk Johnson’s History of Kentucky and Kentuckians, Volume 3, it is noted that Trigg’s “sporting nature is well-known along the line of the dog and the gun, and he has given to the world a superior breed of hunting dogs, called the Trigg foxhound.”
Trigg published a volume called The American Fox Hunt, which describes his work breeding the Trigg foxhounds. After contributing so much to his hometown, county, and subsequently the world, he passed away on 26 January 1913 in Kissimmee City, Florida. His mortal remains were brought back to Glasgow, where he was interred in the Municipal Cemetery.
Sometime in the early course of his illustrious career, he built an Italianate-style home off the Maplewood Drive, the present-day South Green Street. The Trigg mansion was belovedly christened “Beechwood” by the family, and it was not uncommon to see one or several horses grazing near the house in the shade of the trees, especially in the warmer months. Local lore has it the a room in the Trigg home, probably Col. Trigg’s study, was known as the “Prophet’s Chamber,” where local business leaders gathered for many a meeting.
Mrs. Anne Ballard Trigg, second wife, and widow, of Haiden C. Trigg, stated in a personal correspondence that her beautiful country home, “Beechwood,” burned in November 1922, and all her family records, the accumulation of years, was destroyed in the fire. Before Mrs. Trigg could write down such of the records she could remember, she was stricken with paralysis, and passed away in February of 1923.
On a parting note is a transcript of a small article from the Glasgow Times, dated 18 November 1929:
“The new home of Mr. and Mrs. Alanson Trigg, the first house to be erected in Trigg Court, is nearing completion. The house is on the spacious grounds of the former setting of one of Glasgow’s most magnificent homes. The original Trigg home, destroyed in a fire, was built by his grandfather, Alanson Munson Trigg (1795-1873); and was the long time residence of Haiden Trigg and Anne Ballard Trigg.”