In the June 7 1934 Glasgow Republican it is noted:
“Rev. John Mulkey was buried here, but when Front Street was extended it cut into the graveyard, and WL Porter, at his own expense, had his body moved to Old Mulkey.” But it did not say whether or not his wife was moved.
Mulkey was married twice, both Nancys. The first wife, Nancy Lough, was the daughter of Jacob Lough, and she has a headstone, and it is fairly certain that she is there, at Old Mulkey, in eternity beside her reverend husband. She died in 1876.
More excerpts from an article in the “Insight” supplement of the Glasgow Times on 4 May 1973, written by Vivian Rousseau:
“This is written primarily for Glasgow citizens thru generations past, and for the many new people now a part of this community, who ask and wonder about its beginnings. It is but a single segment of Glasgow’s history, centered in one historic landmark where the Edmond Rogers Chapter DAR ask you to join them in dedicating Munford-Crenshaw Shrine, on Wednesday May 8 (1973), at East Front and Franklin Streets.
“While there, take time to stroll among those tombstones, hand-carved and beautifully finished. They will introduce you to a few pioneer Glasgow citizens.
“William E. Munford came to Glasgow in 1818, was a son of Richard J. Munford, the founder of Munfordville.He bought a large brick house that stood on McKenna Street, near Columbia Avenue (torn down around 1970) from the builder, James H. Rice, son of Father David Rice, notable pioneer Presbyterian minister and also a founder of Centre College (at Danville). Its 14 acres stretched to Front Street where Mr. Munford opened the cemetery for public use ‘to men of faith and purpose.’ Here his friends and associates chose to be buried many years before his family had occasion to use it.
“The small graves of two infants, in 1864, invoke Civil War days, when both armies occupied Glasgow. Their father, Elias Porter, also came here from Munfordville, and married Elizabeth, daughter of Felix Richardson, then Provost Marshal of Glasgow. These Porters lived in Russellville where he was Post Master and she returned to her family here while he was in the war, and lost these two infants. The family recalled often handing out mail to Jesse James while he was visiting relatives in Logan County and witnessed his first bank robbery there.
“After Porter’s death she married Meredith Reynolds, whose first wife, Sallie Ritter Reynolds, was the first grave in the cemetery. It was moved by a descendant, Mrs. W. Basil Smith, to the Glasgow Cemetery about the same time as the removal of Rev. John N. Mulkey because of encroachments. Meredith Reynolds operated a very early carding factory on Broadway near Water Street and later operated the town’s first steam mill, with both partners near the Southfork Creek bridge on the Burkesville Road (East Main Street). It was solely owned by Willis A. Bush when it burned in 1829. It was Glasgow’s first giant industry and was equipped for wool carding, picking and spinning cotton, grinding wheat and corn and sawing plank and lumber. It brought much money into town, hundreds of wagons coming from as far as middle Tennessee.
“His son, Thomas (TT) Reynolds, died while engaged to Lucille LaVerne, who taught elocution in one of the fine Glasgow girls’ schools. She later became a noted actress and when quite old played in the movie version of ‘Tale of Two Cities.'”
On a note, this movie came out in 1935. But her last role was her best known – she was the voice of the Queen and the Old Hag in Disney’s “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” (1937).
“Edward Evans married Nancy Taylor and they lived for many years near the corner of Green and College Streets. After his death (in 1872) she operated a boarding house where Rev. John N. Mulkey stayed. In their later years, they married, and when he died (in 1882) he was buried alongside her first husband. She was the daughter of John Taylor, native of Virginia who first settled in Monroe county, and her mother, also buried here, was originally Elizabeth Pedigo, daughter of pioneer Revolutionary Edward Pedigo, who settled in the Randolph country of Metcalfe County.”
On another side note, after Rev. Mulkey’s demise, Mrs. Mulkey became quite eccentric in her old age. She was best known for dressing quite lavishly and wearing a Cleopatra-type raven black shiny wig!When she died in 1895, she was buried beside her two husbands, but I’m not sure of the status of her grave (her stone has not been identified). When Rev. John Mulkey was moved it was because of the extension of Franklin Street from Front Street, where it originally ended, to McKenna Street, with this new addition being too close to one of the grave rows. Today, the fence around the present Munford-Crenshaw cemetery is right beside the road.
Nothing else is said about what was done with the other graves in that row, and rumors over the years have found several graves outside the current fence. I’m not so sure about that, having not seen them myself, but I am sure that Rev. Mulkey and the Reynolds family were removed, Mulkey to Tompkinsville, with his first wife, and the Meredith Reynolds family reinterred in the Glasgow Cemetery.
The Munford-Crenshaw Cemetery is quiet, kept quite nicely, and the monument with the Revolutionary War soldiers of the area on it is priceless. It’s worth the stop if you are a history buff.
- 1918 Flu Arthur Krock Barren River Barren River Lake Beaver creek Beckton KY Beulah Nunn Park BG Daily News Bob Brown Bowling Green Ky Boyds Creek Buffalo Ford burial customs Burkesville Rd cave lore CC Simmons Cemetery Road Civil War Columbia Avenue drowning East Main Street east washington street Edmonton Hwy executions family history Fountain Run Glasgow Cemetery Glasgow Junction Glasgow KY Glasgow Public Square Glasgow Times Green mansion hangings Hwy 63 Hwy 249 Indian history John Franklin John Hamilton John Nelson Kinslow family Leslie Triangle Liberty Street Campus Lick Branch Road local history Lucas KY Mammoth Cave Marshal Collins Martha's Divine Hole Maupin Hotel May Street McFadden Station Meredith Reynolds Metcalfe Co murders Neals' Chapel New Salem Cemetery Oil Well Rd Old Richardsville Bridge Oleoak KY Park City ky Peter Creek Randolph KY Roseville KY Saltpetre Cave Skaggs Creek Slick Rock South Green Street suicides Summer Shade tragedy US68-80 Vernon School Road Warren Co KY Western Kentucky University West Washington Street